Our beautiful church was built in 1872, held its first service on 11th November of that year, and was consecrated by the first Bishop of Dunedin, The Right Reverend Samuel T. Nevill, on 11th June 1873.
It is recognized by the Historic Places Trust as “a building of architectural, historical and spiritual significance” and is registered as “Historic Place Category 2.
St Barnabas is especially well-known for the magnificence of it stained glass windows, particularly those that take up almost the entire west wall.
Equally historic is the graveyard surrounding the church, with the first burial taking place in 1875. Bishop Nevill and many of his family are buried here.
You will find more information about the main features, and the history, of St Barnabas on our History Page.
Like many small country churches St Barnabas has had its ups and downs, but today it is thriving as it continues to offer the people of Warrington and Waitati, and beyond, a holy place in which to gather to worship God.